- 1+1/3 cups white whole wheat flour (8oz, 227g)
- 1/3 cup toasted oat bran (or flour) (1.5oz, 43g)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (25g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil, preferably light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
3. Add the vanilla, oil and buttermilk to the eggs.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until most of the lumps are gone.
5. Pour ¾ c. batter into the waffle maker and spread evenly
6. Remove waffle when the indicator on your machine is activated or when no more steam comes out from the waffle maker.
Make your own buttermilk: Per cup replace 1 tablespoon of milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes until it curdles. Filippo Berio extra light olive oil can be purchased at Costco for a great price.